CrossFit Jungle Gym: How We’re Training Through COVID-19
Dear Jungle Gym’ers,
This virus is causing a worldwide panic, and we have some good news…
1. You’ve done and are doing everything you can to prepare yourself for this sort of event… Strong, fit people are hard to kill and certainly bounce back fast. You’ve put in the work, ate your vegges and are physically and mentally tough!
2. While we’re in between 2 major cities and we are currently not in the toughest of positions in comparison to our fellow human beings in other parts of the world… we’ve had some time to prepare (and CFJG has been preparing).
3. Nicer weather is coming and we’ll be able to soak in fresh air and sun soon… which will help get the germs out of all these condensed public places!
4. We’re a TwoBrain gym we have hundreds of other gym owners in our network including some in the heart of this thing and we’re learning from them how they’ve made due under the circumstances.
In the short term, please observe the following:
– Obviously… DO NOT COME TO THE GYM IF YOU’RE NOT FEELING WELL.
– With more vigor than normal… wash and sanitize your hands regularly. Avoid touching your face.
– When you cough or sneeze, cover your mouth with a tissue or an elbow rather than a hand.
– Clean off any equipment you’ve used. We’ll make sure potent disinfectant is on hand, along with paper towels.
— We’ve already implemented additional cleaning practices into our procedures to make sure this place is germ free as possible!
Given the worldwide (and more local) situation, there is the potential that our gym along with many other public organizations and buildings will be forced to shut down. We’ll listen for all info from the government and follow its procedures.
Should we be forced to shut down, we will not stop coaching or running training sessions. We will use social media, e-mail and text messages to program and instruct workouts. We take a lot of pride in what we do and being industry leaders… we never stop caring and we won’t stop doing what you guys need us to do! We want you to keep working out, even if the government won’t let you do it at 4 Crossroads Drive. You never paid for access to this facility. You’ve paid for coaching, guidance and progress we can provide that to all of you online (and if necessary we will).
We will continue to post workouts every day for you guys, and we’ll have a coached video sesson, as well as options using common household items or bodyweight movements. We will also use technology to connect with you and lead you through sessions. We’re up for the challenge in fact we’re ready to run the CFJG Shut Down Fitness Challenge for you guys in the event we’re forced to closed down the facility!
Here’s what you can do to prepare for this possibility:
- Go out and buy a kettlebell or a set of dumbbells. You can probably get something for about $100 or less. WalMart, Dick’s, Gym source (by dicks) usually have some in stock (despite the mad rush to stores… I don’t think many people are stocking up on DB’s or KB’s) and there are tons of online retailers. Select a weight that you would use in a conditioning workout (20, 30 and 40 lb. kettlebells are common, as are 20- and 40- lb. dumbbells. This will be your primary piece of at-home fitness equipment. Don’t worry: You can stay very fit with just one kettlebell or dumbbell (or none at all).
- If you have the cash, buy one heavy object and one lighter object. Maybe a few different ones. If you don’t have cash you want to spend on equipment, get creative. Fill some jugs with water, clean off that old tire in the garage, and so on. (When I first started CrossFit, I cut down a tree in my yard and used the truck as a barbell and KB, I screwed straps onto it and everything)
- Make a space where you can work out with “CFJG online.” It should be about 8 feet by 8 feet (enough room to do burpees and not knock over your TV).
- Create Facebook accounts if you don’t have one. We’ll likely use it as our platform to run workouts.
- Make sure you have a way to set up a phone or iPad so you can see and hear us during the online session.
- High-five the Internet.
We hope there are no breaks in service at our gym, but if we are required to close, we will.
But we will not leave you high and dry. We’ll be offering the same enthusiasm, programming, coaching and energy over the Internet. You’re a person who works out. And we’re going to make sure that continues!
Owner, CrossFit Jungle Gym